Boomer1

Boomer1
Join us for a chat!

About Me

One of the oldest baby boomers born in 1946.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Seed of compassion and love

Over 20 years ago when the first seed of caring for the elderly entered into my mind it was strictly that.

I was busy helping my husband build his farming business and had two sons in college and another child to get through school and college.

The quiet coaxing of the need never left my mind. When I was parking the car at Wal-Mart or going to church or wherever I might be, the silver colored hair of the elderly always caught my attention. As time went on the elderly always seemed to out number all others in the eatinig establishments, grocery stores and churches. Still I had no means to do anything about the dream that seemed to be forming in my mind.

Years later a friend of mine dropped in to visit and my last child was a senior in high school and getting ready for college. As we visited over a cup of coffee he casually asked what I was going to do to stay busy when the kids were all out of the house? I had been so involved with my husbands farming operation that I hadn't thought about doing little else. I said I don't know.
"You know" he said. "I just got my real estate license and it's a great part-time job. If you would like something to do that you can set your own schedule." It was tempting since I was one of those baby boomers who always needed to keep moving no matter what. So here was the seed that sprouted unknowing to me.

I received my license and began as a sales person with a small private owned company that was very personable. I learned that I was not a part time person at anything. It was full speed ahead or nothing. Thus, my career kicked off quickly. By my 5th year and by the grace of God I was making more money than I could have ever thought about on a 9 to 5 job. Most of my money was poured into my husbands farming operation and farm payments. I needed very little for myself, after all God had given me a loving husband and three beautiful, healthy and obedient children.

After six years of selling real estate another business associate and friend encouraged me to study for by brokers license. I had already received the hours and my license to appraise real estate but I didn't like that part of the business so I got my hours and received my brokers license and opend my own office.

I listed and actually purchased a 12 acre parcel of land with a little ranch house on it from an individual who had their heart set on a home that was for sale by owner and I bought her place because she was so upset and thought that she would loose her dream home if hers did't sell soon. So now I had a rental property to keep up and leased out. Although I knew it would make a beautiful retirement home for us if we ever got that far along (years).

Little did I know that this parcel fit into God's plan for the elderly. We had owned the land seven years when we decided to get the land zoned for special use for an assisted living facility.

We were almost dumb struck to find out how narrow minded the neighbors were on our need to re-zone to be able to serve the elderly. It was plain to see that they had no feelings for anyone but their own selfish self-centered needs.

The zoning process was a challenge and,by the grace of God, He seen to it that the correct zoning was done. Watching this event unfold was and experience that those of you who have had divine intervention in your lives would only understand.

No comments: